SnoreMeds is a mandibular advancement device. That means it holds your jaw slightly forward to keep your airway open during the night. In addition to their regular-sized mouthpiece, SnoreMeds offers a mouthpiece that’s specially designed for women.
It’s slightly smaller with a deeper bite than the original model that’s suitable for men.
SnoreMeds has twin holes in the front that allow for easy swallowing and breathing through the mouth. It comes with a specially-designed spatula that helps with molding and allows for easy cleaning.
How Does the SnoreMeds Mouthpiece Work?
SnoreMeds works by holding the lower jaw slightly forward when it’s worn. This helps to widen the respiratory tract to enable air flow. This lets users breathe more freely to reduce or eliminate snoring. This mouthpiece has air holes in the front to allow for breathing through the mouth. Before you can use it, you need to fit the SnoreMeds to your mouth using the boil-and-bite method.
To fit the mouthpiece:
- Practice moving your jaw slightly forward to get ready for the fitting.
- Bring water to a boil, then remove it from heat.
- Lower the mouthpiece into the water using the provided spatula.
- Hold the mouthpiece in the water for approximately 20 seconds.
- Take the mouthpiece out of the water and let it cool for a few seconds.
- Put the SnoreMeds mouthpiece in your mouth and hold your jaw slightly forward (3 – 5 mm).
- Bite down on the mouthpiece and breathe in to suck any air out for a tight fit.
- Remove the mouthpiece, and if you are happy with the bite, submerge it in cool water to set it. If you aren’t satisfied with the mold, you can re-mold it one more time.
Wear the mouthpiece during sleep at night. Clean the mouthpiece after use with toothpaste, mouthwash or denture cleaner. Let it dry, and then store it in the provided container.
Is it any good? SnoreMeds Customer Feedback
Pros & Cons
- Comes in two sizes, standard that’s designed for men, and a smaller size that’s recommended for women.
- The boil-and-bite fitting allows for a snug placement of the mouthpiece during sleep.
- Allows for breathing through the mouth.
- SnoreMeds is made from Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved, medical grade materials and is BPA and latex free.
- The single pack has a 45-day guarantee.
- The price is on the lower end of the spectrum for mouthpieces; the value packs can really save you money over time.
- The guarantee only applies to the single-pack, yet the manufacturer recommends you order a double pack because the mouthpiece can be tricky to fit the first time.
- It can take time to get used to wearing this device. Drooling and soreness are typical the first few times you wear the SnoreMeds.
- You can’t wear the SnoreMeds mouthpiece if you wear full dentures. It needs to sit on teeth to stay in place during sleep.
- Will need to be replaced once every four months to remain effective.
- It doesn’t appear that the SnoreMeds has been approved by the FDA or any similar organization for use as an anti-snoring device.
About the Company
SnoreMeds first arrived on the market in 2006. The newer device for women was released in 2010. It’s co-owned by two women: Michelle Hall-Jones and Philippa Logan and is a subsidiary of their company called Trio Interactive. They’re based out of Durbin, South Africa, although they also have locations in Valley Cottage, NY, (USA), Tampere, Finland and a distributor in New Zealand.
Should You Buy a SnoreMeds Mouthpiece?
SnoreMeds comes in two sizes, so your chances of getting a comfortable fit increase over buying an anti-snoring mouthpiece that only comes in one size, particularly if you’re a woman or have a small mouth.
The medical-grade thermoplastic is soft and comfortable, but that also means it will stretch slightly with wear and lose its effectiveness within only four months.
The device hasn’t been approved by the FDA or equivalent organization though it does seem to work on the same principle as other approved anti-snoring mouthpieces. I don’t like the fact that they only offer refunds on the single pack. However, if you buy the single pack to start and then decide that you like SnoreMeds, you can save money by purchasing their double packs and value packs in the future.
While this mouthpiece seems OK, I think other mouthpieces have stronger reputations and proven effectiveness. I think the main advantage of SnoreMeds is the small per-piece price of their value packs.