The VitalSleep mouthpiece has been on the market for over five years and is marketed as an affordable, safe, comfortable and effective anti-snoring device. It has a similar appearance to the mouth guards used in sports like hockey and football. However, its function and design is very different from sports mouthpieces.
How Does VitalSleep Work?
During sleep, your throat muscles relax just like all of the other muscles in your body. However, when the throat muscles relax, the airway between your lungs and your nose or mouth become narrower. When you breathe, the air that moves through this now partially-obstructed airway creates vibrations that cause the snoring sounds that drive our partners up the wall.
VitalSleep is a mouthpiece that you place into your mouth overnight. It helps to minimize snoring by gently holding your jaw slightly forward as you sleep. This keeps your airway clear to reduce or eliminate snoring. Some mouthpieces include a tongue guard function. VitalSleep does not and doesn’t believe it’s necessary for effective alleviation of snoring.
Before wearing the mouthpiece for the first time, you’ll need to follow the instructions that come with your order. The first thing to do is to create the custom fit. You do this by immersing the mouthpiece in hot water for 10 seconds. Then you bite into it to form a mold of your bite. After it cools, you can adjust the jaw position.
After use, clean the mouthpiece with a toothbrush and toothpaste or denture cleaner. Store it in the included protective case when it’s not in use. This is especially advisable if you have pets that like to chew!
VitalSleep is one of the most highly rated anti-snoring mouthpieces out there. The majority of the reviews are positive. We all know that Amazon.com is one of the best places to find product reviews, but this product isn’t sold on Amazon. However, various YouTube reviews and reviews on independent websites all rate this device pretty high with only a few exceptions. The reviews below were all posted on VitalSleep.com.
Pros & Cons
- You can adjust how far forward you need your jaw positioned for optimum comfort and alleviation of snoring. It can go forward up to 7 mm by turning plastic hex screws with an included adjustment tool.
- Available in Two Sizes. VitalSleep comes in two sizes; small for women and regular for men. They recommend that people follow this guideline regardless of the individual size of their mouth. In their experience, a man who considers himself to have a small mouth will still most likely be a good fit for the larger size mouthpiece. A woman with a larger mouth should order the small.
- Mouldable to fit your mouth. Before you wear your mouthpiece for the first time, you’ll need to do a ‘hot set’ to make a custom fit for your mouth.
- Designed for comfort. It has a flexible frame and allows for side to side movement of the jaw. This creates less stress on the jaw than a mouthpiece that doesn’t allow for movement.
- BPA and latex The VitalSleep mouthpiece is made from FDA approved medical grade materials.
- VitalSleep offers a 30-day money back guarantee from the date that you receive your order. They also will replace your mouthpiece for free for a year after purchase.
- It can be hard to clean. Some users complain that due to the intricate design of the mouthpiece, it can be difficult to clean with a toothbrush alone. One answer to this is soaking it in denture-cleaning solution before scrubbing with a brush.
- It may be limited by the boil-and-bite fit. When you use the boil-and-bite fitting method, the VitalSleep mold fits around the gums rather than the teeth. This can result in a less-than-snug fit than mouthpieces fitted by a dentist or doctor’s office.
- It can’t be used by everyone. It can’t be worn with braces, Invisalign or if you don’t have teeth. Use with partial dentures can work,
About the Company
The VitalSleep product was created by a frustrated chronic snorer who is also a physical therapist. As a sufferer of the many adverse effects of snoring, particularly exhaustion and fatigue, he went on a search for a snoring device that could provide a solution to his troubling condition.
The anti-snoring mouthpieces he found seemed to be of less than the best quality and even safety. He finally settled on a device that cost thousands of dollars. Common sense told him that there had to be a way to make a top-quality mouthpiece that would be affordable for everyone. He developed the product we now know as VitalSleep, which is marketed as an affordable, safe and effective anti-snoring device.
The VitalSleep mouthpiece is brought to us by The Snore Reliever Company LLC. All of their products are sourced in the USA and have received clearance by the FDA. What’s more, they manufacture their mouthpieces in California, USA. Since they’re a US-based company, this allows them to have a direct oversight during the manufacturing process. When products are made overseas, you have to leave the entire process in the hands of another party.
The Bottom Line
If you can’t or don’t want to pay up to $3,000 for a mouthpiece fitted by a doctor, VitalSleep is an excellent alternative. It works on the exact same principle as medically-issued mouthpieces; it guides the jaw slightly forward to help keep the throat unobstructed during sleep.
It may take some time getting used to wearing the mouthpiece at night, but the results will be worth it if throat obstruction is the cause of your snoring. This anti-snoring mouthpiece is also a great choice because its FDA approved and the company offers a guarantee for the first 30 days and free replacements for an entire year.